Newhall U14 Lions (2) v Winshill (2)

Ron Evans-Brookes

Match report by

Ron Evans-Brookes
Date filed: 17 Nov 2013

Played: 17th November 2013



Newhall stole a last minute equaliser after Winshill had taken the lead only 2 minutes earlier in a pulsating game full of grit and determination from both sides in appalling pitch conditions.


After yet another referee failed to turn up it was down to Winshill to provide a substitution ref , unfortunately things got a little out of hand with decisions on the field and overshadowed a good first half. Newhall took the lead on 5 minutes after pressure from Newhall eventually led to a corner on their left, Sean floated over a great centre that Mcklane met with his head to glide the ball wide of their goalkeeper. On the balance of play it was deserved but Newhall failed to capitalise on a number of chances they made for themselves with some decent football on a dreadful pitch, and Harry in goal wasn't troubled throughout, so it was difficult to see why Newhall only went in at half time 1 goal up.


Half Time: Winshill 0 Newhall 1


After a long debated decision on the referee problem Newhall's linesman went on to ref the second half with the agreement of both coaches, the half time talk was a little disjointed. The lads were reminded to concentrate on their football and not let themselves be rattled by some of the issues that went on through the first half.


The 3rd referee in the game didn't have to wait long to make his first tough decision blowing up for a penalty to Winshill with only 1 minute on the clock after a trip by Sean just inside the area. Luckily it went unpunished as it was blazed over the bar by the Winshill player who couldn't believe he had missed the opportunity to bring his side level. The game was very narrow today with very little wing play from either team but Newhall had no substitutes so their starting 11 had to dig deep in heavy conditions to try and keep it together. They couldn't do nothing about the eventual equaliser from Winshill after they had a sustained period of pressure, Newhall couldn't clear their lines on the right side as the ball ping ponged in and out of the area. Eventually it fell on the left wing for the ball to come in over the top of the defence and find an unmarked Winshill player to slot it past Harry. It was no more than Winshill deserved on the balance of play on the opening 15 minutes of the half.


Newhall just couldn't put their foot on the game and control the play, but sometimes you have to give credit to Winshill who were relentless in the battle as well for the loose balls as the game became scrappy. After a number of chances from free kicks at either end the game ran into added on time and Newhall were caught on the break after the ball flew past Liam at left back the Winshill winger took advantage to run on with the ball and zip a cross into another unmarked player on the Winshill left, at six yards out he couldn't miss it 2-1 and the game looked over. But fair play to the lads who dug even further into their energy banks to push straight down the other end from the kick off and equalise. Winshill completely stood off Newhall and they panicked a little and when the ball fell to Lewis on 15 yards out he lobbed the keeper for the equaliser. With barely a minute left of added on time they pushed again but Winshill cleared the danger and there wasn't any more time left for them to mount a challenge, a draw was a fair result in the end as the final whistle blew.


Full Time: Winshill 2 Newhall 2


Summary: With Dave absent today Phil said he could of asked no more of the players who gave 100% today in difficult conditions against an opposition who are tough to play against and who are 3rd in the table on the heels of Newhall. He praised all the team in a real tough battle but decided that Mcklane just pipped a few to the man of the match award, with a mention for Sean and Liam who ran close to the decision. At this time of the year the games are going to be tough and the lads will not be able to play their normal passing game even though they managed a fair bit of that today, but they couldn't get a clean hit on the ball with it bobbling all over the place on a very uneven, boggy and long grass surface not cut due to the wetness of the ground. 


Linesman's Viewpoint: On the first half performance Newhall did struggle sometimes to assert their superiority and they were superior in that first 35 minutes regardless of the referee situation. Having run as referee for the second period you see the game slightly differently but the lads deserved the draw, to come back from such a late goal they gave away with only 11 players fit is something they should draw on in the coming weeks as pitch conditions get heavier. It's fair to say the game was littered with mistakes on the ball all over the pitch and I kept my head with the sidelines getting heated again for the last 5 minutes, I thought it was an honest scrap of a game today from both teams.


Next game: Sunday 24th November 10.30 kick off versus TS Sports.



Comment on this report

New comments can be added at the bottom of the list

Sorry - there are no comments yet.

Have your say!

Sorry - you need to be logged in to the website to comment on Match reports, or take part in the discussion forum. Setting up a user account on the website is free - see the panel at the top of the page.

The FA

Newhall FC are a Football Association Charter Standard Club.
Affiliated to the Derbyshire County F.A. since 1978.